Writing. Graphic Design. Video. Vocal Storytelling.
Explore my work in its many forms.
More writings from WHYY News can be found here.
Vocal Storytelling - Presentations, Media Interviews, and Podcasts
- BarCamp 2018 - Unlocking Quirks as Superpowers presentation: How do we use the aspects that make us different as superpowers? I decided to answer that question as a 45-minute presentation for BarCamp Philly. Watch the slideshow with voice-over recording on YouTube.
- PANMA - Hacking Healthcare presentation: I delivered a 7-minute presentation as part of the Philadelphia Area New Media Association's annual Show and Tell Event, which features a series of lightning presentations around a particular topic. My topic focused on how Get Covered Philly is helping to promote the Open Enrollment Period for Health Insurance in Philadelphia. Watch the presentation on YouTube.
- WHYY's The Pulse - Why We Exercise: WHYY's Shai Ben-Yaacov asked me about my decision to begin a weight-loss regimen in 2007, and how my relationship with food and the people around me changed in the years that followed. Listen to the episode on The Pulse's website. (Segment begins at 32:17.)
- Breaking Mayberry podcast - I Thought I Might Find a Riot Here!: I guest starred on episode six of Breaking Mayberry, a podcast that examines The Andy Griffith Show through a modern lens, to talk about voter suppression and women running for office with hosts/friends Martin R. Schneider and Dan Ludwig. Listen to the episode on iTunes. (Content warning: strong language)
- Political Theater podcast - Women of a Certain Age: I co-hosted a podcast with film critic Martin R. Schneider that examined issues at the intersection of politics and pop culture. This episode, part of the podcast's "Women in the Workplace" miniseries, explores how older women are portrayed in film and television, including Something's Gotta Give, Grace & Frankie and The Golden Girls. Listen to the episode on Political Theater's Podomatic page. (Content warning: strong language)
- Speakeasy from WHYY - Being Too Fat, Being Too Thin: After I wrote an essay as part of a series entitled "Being [Blank} in Philly" for WHYY's Speakeasy website, I was invited to read it aloud for the radio program NewsWorks Tonight. Listen to and read the essay on WHYY's website. (Content warning: descriptions of degrading behavior toward fat individuals and street harassment)
Get Covered Philly - A Grassroots Campaign to Promote Health Insurance Open Enrollment
Help promote the Healthcare.gov Open Enrollment period each year.